Rates & Policies
1. Tutor Satisfaction. Our staff is comprised of the most brilliant, professional, and charismatic peer tutors around. However, if after two sessions of a minimum 1-hour each and two unique tutor Analysts, you or your student is not satisfied—for any reason—you will not be expected to pay a penny.
2. No Guarantees. While we are confident in our tutors, instructors, and curricula, we cannot guarantee that students will improve their grades or scores. It is impossible for us to make such guarantees as there are many components to success that are beyond our control such as innate ability, motivation, and natural disasters.
3. Scheduling and Tutor on Call (TOC). A regularly invoiced session must be scheduled at least 24 hours in advance. A “Tutor on Call” session may be requested less than 24 hours in advance. If available, the Client will be billed at their normal rate plus a last minute surcharge (see rates).
4. Cancellations. An appointment may only be canceled if confirmed directly with the tutor Analyst or Client Manager. The client may cancel any appointment 24 hours in advance of the previously scheduled time without penalty; otherwise, appointments will be treated as “Missed Appointments.”
5. Missed Appointments. A missed appointment is any appointment not canceled or rescheduled 24 hours prior to the scheduled time. The customer will be billed for one hour at their normal rate. Failure of the student to be present at the meeting location within 15 minutes of the appointment will be billed as a cancellation.
6. Time Billing. Billing for hourly services begins at the scheduled time (provided that the tutor Analyst is present). Clients are charged by the hour in five-minute increments. Clients may also be invoiced for time that the tutor Analyst spends on activities for the benefit of the student even if the student is not present. This time will be billed applying the “Preparation Discount.” Examples include but are not limited to:
7. Session Minimums. The minimum charge per each unique one-to-one session is 1 hour.
8. Service Area. General Academic does not generally charge an additional fee for the Analyst’s travel time and expenses incurred if the session location falls within the Interstate 610 “Inner Loop.” If the location falls outside of this area then a nominal surcharge may be applied. This surcharge will be jointly determined between the Client, Tutor/s, and Client Manager.
9. Monthly Invoices. Post-paid clients will receive invoices by e-mail or US mail for the previous month on or around the 5th of the current month. Clients may settle their invoices in one of five ways:
10. Automatic Payments. We allow for “automatic billing” when clients leave their card on file with us. Credit card information is digitally encrypted and stored in a third-party managed and verified “vault.”
11. Prepayments. Clients may prepay for private services and are required to prepay for courses. We will refund prepayments by request with the following stipulations:
12. Penalties for Late Payment. A surcharge may apply for all invoices paid later than fifteen days after the invoice date. Collection costs will be added to the total for invoices not paid within 60 days.
Additional Policies for Courses
1. Schedule. We reserve the right to make schedule, curriculum, and instructor changes as necessary. Registered parents will be informed of any changes and be given the opportunity to receive a full refund of any applicable pre-paid tuition and/or fees.
2. Minimum Enrollment. Courses and Boot Camps require at least two enrolled students in order to follow the published schedule. In the event that only one student enrolls, we will still offer Courses at the originally paid tuition but reduce the scheduled class time by one-third; however, clients may also receive a full refund if they prefer. Boot Camps that do not make will be canceled, and clients will receive a full refund.
3. Make Up Classes. When a student misses a class, we will schedule a make-up session using the Study Lounge. The instructor will document what material was missed and make it available to the tutor Analysts in the Study Lounge. The student will independently cover the concepts and complete guided practice problems with the aid of the Study Lounge tutors. Please know that the Study Lounge is a group-tutoring environment and is not a complete replacement for students being present during the scheduled class.
4. Class Materials and Outside Requirements. All necessary curriculum materials are included with the course tuition and fees. Instructors will refrain from assigning mandatory homework. However, we always encourage outside practice. In particular, we strongly recommend learning vocabulary at home when taking our ISEE or SAT courses.
5. Distracting Devices. Students should not use mobile phones or other electronic devices during class unless necessary or allowed by the class instructor. Students violating this rule may have their devices confiscated until a parent or responsible guardian retrieves them.
6. Payment and Refunds. Payment is due on or before the first day of the class. Should a student need to withdraw from the class, we will pro-rate the refund up until the course’s midway point after which no refund will be offered.
7. Standard Policies. Our standard rates and policies also apply to courses unless otherwise superseded above.